Not just ordinary human beings even athletes have to deal with weight problems. Despite an active lifestyle sometimes athletes put on weight that hinders their performance. It is important that they shed the extra pounds to perform at their optimum. Of course, how good an athlete you are depends mainly on the genes, training, age, mental toughness, and physical fitness. While it is not possible to control your gene pool you can definitely control factors that contribute to weight gain.
Why you must lose weight?
- Too much weight puts a strain on your joints and back and this will affect the fitness levels of the athlete
- The energy expended to do any sort of work is more when your body weight is more
- The strain on the heart is more
- Endurance and stamina reduce.
How to lose weight?
The two areas that you must focus on when on a weight loss program is training and diet. It is a known fact that by cutting sugars and carbohydrates and increasing protein one can lose weight the right way. The focus of all weight loss programs must be to lose the fat.
You must ensure that your weight loses program is monitored by professionals and a physician because drastic cutting of calorie during peak season to lose weight will adversely affect the muscles. A minimum of one to two pounds weight loss a week is fine but anything more is not healthy.
The best time for an athlete to lose weight will be in offseason when the body gets sufficient recovery time and the energy demands on the body are limited.
Benefits of weight loss
- With lesser load to carry the body becomes quicker and more agile
- The strain on the heart and the lungs is also less as with less energy expanded more can be achieved
- Overall fitness and performance will improve as the body feels lighter and healthier.
Check out https://www.holisticboard.org for more health-related tips.